Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Timeless classics

Not much to report today. I was a good Bee and spent most of the evening packing. Got most of my books boxed up now. I came across two old craft books from the 1970s. One is the first in a 120 (! - don't worry, I don't have the rest) volume series of craft books from 1978 called Stitch by Stitch, and the other is a copy of Vogue Crochet (how to crochet + patterns) from 1972.

Now, either I'm more attuned to styles from the early 70s rather than the late 70s, or there really is a reason why Vogue is so timeless!

I want to make almost every single pattern from the Vogue book - from the suit to the dress to the shawl to it all! Shame I can't crochet - and don't worry, I'm not planning to get a new obsession just yet.

Unfortunately virtually every pattern in the Stitch by Stitch book is very dated - I quite honestly couldn't make anything (knit, crochet or sewn) without adjusting it in some way.

I will certainly look out for a Vogue Knitting book in charity shops. I know that some designers I've seen online have had patterns in Vogue - makes me hopeful that patterns I'm attracted to now also won't date.

Anyway. I'm off to bed soon. I broke from packing to watch Lost, and I carried on with my Sonnet sleeves while watching - halfway done now at least. Still have no Denise needles, and I don't know what to take with me to knit at the weekend when I travel... Decisions decisions.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home