Monday, August 29, 2005

My knitting knowledge Increases!

I finished the body of the Sonnet cardigan today :) It's been a productive Bank Holiday weekend - I also read the book I took with me and did heaps and heaps of laundry ready for packing. I've now started on the Sonnet sleeves. Following a hint in Stitch'n'Bitch Nation, I'm knitting both sleeves at the same time, on the same needles, with separate balls of wool. This means I can keep track of everything, and also that once I finished one sleeve I don't need to do the whole process again!

It has meant I've had to learn to increase! Not at all as hard as I expected, once I got the hang of it. I started off trying the Bar Increase, but screwed it up the first time. So then I switched to Make One Increase and that worked just fine. I'll try bar increasing on my practice knitting.

In other news I've tried the needle gague on all the needles I have from my grandmothers. Their needles all have the old British sizing on them - such a dumb system. It *started* at size 14 (=2mm), so by the time you're up to 8mm you're on size 0, 9mm = 00, 10mm = 000 !!! Crazy.

Disappointingly, most of the DPNs are size 2.5mm - over 15 of them are that size!!! So I shall certainly need to purchase some DPNs for making Tempting. I'll check out my gague on the Denise needles first before I order any. My Denise needles haven't arrived - unsurprisingly since I don't think there have actually been any working days since I ordered them - but dammit! I'm impatient ;)



Post a Comment

<< Home