Tuesday, March 28, 2006

RSI? PMA! (Positive Mental Attitude)

So I have now gone from:

to:


I figured not becoming crippled was better than vanity. I've had long nails since I was 17 and I've never cut them all off before. Felt weird. End of an era I guess. (I'd cut my index finger nail short a couple of weeks ago to aid right handed typing).

I haven't painted my nails for yonks, but thought this would be a good time to dig out my nail varnish case.

Anyhoo, I can now type a bit better with my right hand (albeit very slowly) - my left hand is doing nothing! I'm practising writing with my right hand too, and trying to use it more for household tasks. But I'm being very careful not to overwork it!

I've made an appointment with a doctor for Monday - kinda feel like I'm cheating on my chiropractor ;) I'm also taking the homeopathic remedy Rhus. tox. Been doing lots of reading on RSI. I want to beat this! But I know I need to take it slow and steady.

However - don't tell! - I did a little bit of knitting tonight. One row (about 28 stitches, 2x2 rib) then a 15 minute break of stretching, and I only did 4 rows... I kept my left hand perfectly straight, so it was slow going to get those stitches off with the right needle; but I had no pain in the underside of my wrist. If I bent my wrist there'd be the slightest twinge - but it didn't hang about. My hand felt a bit weird though, and I had to keep cracking my wrist. But at least I'm narrowing down the motions that affect the underside.

However, I can't see me knitting again in the near future. Maybe even long term. But I need to be confident that with rest and working on it, that I will get better :)

To that end I have downloaded WorkRave. I really recommend it - get it now! It's easy to install, it's FREE, and it has a cute sheep for a logo. It prompts you to take breaks, gives you exercises to do. When I can knit'n'stuff again I think I'll even use it for timing myself for that.

I know I'm on a bit of an anti-RSI crusade, but it's so debilitating, and so easy to catch it. I was 'lucky' in that I got it just as I was quitting work to become a student. I am fully aware that there is no way I'd be able to be doing my old job right now, and that's pretty scary. As it is, I don't know what I'm going to be capable of doing when I finish studying - assume my hands allow me to finish studying!

So download WorkRave, work on your posture and 'hand habits', and STOP as soon as you feel a twinge.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home