Sunday, January 29, 2006

First DPN use!

Yesterday I finished my second Blackberry sleeve, and sewed it all together - hoorah! It's nearly finished - it looks good so far, appears to all fit'n'stuff :)

We were then invited to visit some friends to watch 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou'. I wanted to keep on a-knitting of course, but I didn't feel I could continue with Blackberry. All I need to do now with it is knit on the border, but I've never had to pick up stitches before, and also I know that it will take a lot of thinking as to their placement (to avoid the 'pouch' effect).

Instead I decided to finally try out those DPNs I ordered months ago and start the Tempting sleeves! I realised once I'd started that I hadn't checked the gauge, but I've compared what I've done so far with the body and they look the same. The DPNs are the same size, but my Denise needles are resin and the DPNs are bamboo - my gauge changes hugely with plastic and metal, but appears to be pretty constant with resin and bamboo.

Anyway, here's a progress pic on the sleeve. The bamboo DPNs look so beautiful against the wool :) They are a delight to knit with as well - gorgeous to touch. I doubt I'll get any more long bamboo needles due to my RSI, but I'll certainly get more DPNs.



This is the first time I've knit with DPNs, and although it took me a few attempts to get my head round it, I found it pretty simple in the end. I'm using 4 needles rather than 5 as I figure the more stitches I get per needle the quicker I am, given that it takes most time to switch needles.

Anyway, now we're going to watch Underworld, in preparation for going to see Underworld 2, so I'm going to have a go at finishing Blackberry :)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home