Thursday, September 22, 2005

Start of Tempting and an update on Sonnet

Well I've started Tempting. I'm taking it slowly - no knitting on the bus anymore, and when I knit watching TV I stop during the adverts and roll my shoulders and wrists. So far it's not too bad, but then I am using very light circular needles. I'm saving myself for this weekend when I've got hours in a van as we're moving house. I think my problem before was due to Sonnet being so heavy and on long, straight needles. Anyway, I've got about 3-4 inches of Tempting done so far, in my German wool. I'm getting 2.75" per ball of wool, which is quite short really. I have 10 balls though, so hopefully I'll have enough.

Anyway, back to Sonnet. I sewed it up last week. As I cast off really tightly (must sort that out for in future), as because Sonnet is knit sideways, one side of the front (the side with the buttonholes) is shorter than the other. Last weekend I attempted blocking. The Wendy Pampas is only 30% wool though, 70% acrylic. I spritzed the front wet and pinned it in place.

I have to say I was very dubious, but it did seem to work - the cast off edge loosened up quite a lot. However, it's still about half an inch too short, so it doesn't match up.

I've been pondering what to do, and finally decided. I'm going to cross the front over the other way, which means that the edges will line up. Obviously the buttonholes will be useless, but I'm going to go with a frog fastening instead - hopefully some silver/grey ones.

I think this will really work with the way I've knitted Sonnet. I was becoming apprehensive that it was going to look awful, the pattern of the yarn strangled by the too small needles... But instead it has worked just as I had hoped! The tight gauge has made the garter stitch stiff and boxy, but the box stitch gives the structure some ease, and also a 'poofy' aspect to the sleeves. I think it looks like an Elizabethan short jacket, or a Russian noblewoman's coat from a few centuries ago. Frogs will really bring it together - and the buttons looked naff anyway.

Now to search for silver frogs!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home