Sunday, March 01, 2009

Random thing the... uh... ... fourth

I hate bra sizing.

Hate it with A. PASSION.

There are many reasons, including the fact that apparently that most women are erroneously wearing a band size that is too large, and a cup size that is too small. Yet when I input my measurements into bra size calculators I consistently get the answer 36A which seems, for me, to be slightly too large a band size, and, since my 34C bra cups were too small & I was expecting to be something like a 34D/36C-D, slightly too small a cup.

But try as I might, I kept getting 36A or B on all size charts. The only time I'd get anything that sounded slightly more realistic was from websites that talked about how bra sizing sucks (this site was particularly informative and this ebay guide is similar), and that most people are wearing a band size that is too loose, and a cup size that is too small. Going on this, I felt it even more unlikely that I was a 36A.

I got fitted for a bra the other day, and after 45 minutes of tryings on (4 different bra styles), the overwhelming conclusion was that I was a 32DD-E.

Riiiight.

The 32DD-E isn't without its problems though. The bras are obviously a lot tighter than I'm used to; having had 2 years of little support, my boobs are really tender at the moment from all this trussing up. I suppose if things don't start feeling more comfortable soon I'll have to go elsewhere. I did try on some bras today in another shop; I only took 32DD-Es in, but think I must be a at least 34 something-or-other in their styles and really couldn't be bothered faffing with any more.

Interestingly, given that I've read a lot these past few days about women wearing too big a band and too small a cup, I've just come across one article that suggests that women who want breast reduction surgery are wearing too small bands and too big cups, and getting a new bra solves their problems rather than surgery. But it doesn't say what measuring guide they used... So who knows!

Why there can't just be one consistent method of measuring which actually correlates to the sizes of bras being made in a standard way across styles and brands I don't know.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Zoggi said...

In the study the Times article is referring to the people who conducted the research knew nothing about bra sizing or bra fitting, and all they did was take the women's measurements and work out what bra size they should be using the same formula that gave you a 36A. They didn't look at how the bras actually fitted *at all.* Then they had to come up with a theory that justified the conclusion! *headdesk* Needless to say, in reality, the problem is the opposite - women going for breast reductions are wearing bras too large in the band, and too small in the cup (often because of the incorrect measuring formula) thus offering no support. Here is one example: http://www.royalfree.nhs.uk/default.aspx?top_nav_id=2&tab_id=15&news_id=430

Zoe (Belladonna Eyes)

3:20 pm  
Blogger Jet said...

That's my size, too! I've had problems for years, culminating in 1996 when being fitted for the third nursing bra in a week, I complained that the bras were digging in and causing mastitis. I tried on several sizes and ended up a 34G!

Last year I got fitted at Rigby and Peller and am the exact size you mentioned: 32DD to 32E! They proceeded to sell me a fab bra at great cost, but it is honestly the best bra I have ever bought. I drew the line at matching briefs for £30 a pop!

11:25 am  
Blogger TheKnittingBee said...

Thanks for commenting Zoe - I found your website really informative.

I'll have to try R&P Juli - so far I've been sticking with M&S, and only buying bras that I get fitted for.

12:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home