Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Lace-Up Opera Gloves

This weekend is the Wave-Gotik-Treffen festival in Leipzig, Germany. I went in 2005 and had an absolutely amazing time. Sadly I haven't had the money to go since (but will definitely be saving my pennies for next year). My friends try and go every year, so I have to just try and not be too jealous.

Last night I helped my friend pack (while trying not to feel too jealous ;) ), so today I thought I'd post an FO report for a garment that I'd possibly had taken with me were I going (and were it not going to be over 30oC in Leipzig this weekend):

My Lace-Up Opera Gloves:



(by the way, that is not my belly or my pants, it's my underskirt showing. Mr Bee is getting a little better at styling photos, but not much)

I started these aaaaaages ago, and had one knitted up since before Christmas, I think. But obviously it took a while to knit the second one. Then I had to wait ages to get round to buying ribbons. The ribbons I did get, by the way, are rubbish. They aren't actual ribbon, they're a bit plastic-y. Plus they were too wide so I had to fold them in half and stitch them together, so it does look a bit like I've laced the gloves up with PVC tubing.



Pattern: Lace-Up Opera Gloves by Ysolda
Yarn: from an unravelled shrug; a thick singles held with a couple of metallic threads. This is the yarn I had left over after making my Hug. It was coincidentally a similar colour to the one Ysolda had on the pattern page.
Needles: 6mm straights
Modifications: different yarn, different needles, totally different gauge. I ended up doing less repeats I think.

This is a really nice pattern, which I ballsed up a bit by not substituting properly (I basically grabbed the first needles that were to hand!). The main problem is that the fabric I ended up knitting is very firm and stiff - there's hardly any give in it, so I can't pull it in to lace. The thumb is also rather bulky, because I was using such thick yarn.

I thought the weird ribbons made the gloves look a tad dodgy, but having seen the photos I don't think they're too bad - I'm going to try and get some actual ribbon ribbons though!

If I knitted this pattern again I'd probably pay closer attention to getting the right sort of drape. Although I can alter a pattern if I don't have gauge to make sure that I have the right dimensions, I need to remember that knitted fabric has different characteristics depending on gauge!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Batty said...

The gloves are gorgeous!

You know what? My friend Linda goes to the Treffen every year, and I'll try to go again next year. Maybe we can meet up and knit? That would be so amazing!

12:47 am  
Blogger Taueret said...

deb!! I am so sorry, I kept forgetting to email you. Thanks a million for the book + koolaid, and the adorable postcard. I'm really embarrassed.

9:49 am  
Blogger TheKnittingBee said...

Batty - that would be awesome!

Hope - no worries! I found moving ridiculously stressful and I don't have small children! I don't know how you coped!

6:18 pm  
Blogger Taueret said...

have I mentioned how deliriously kinky those gloves are? I keep being drawn back to them like a moth to a flame! Just gorgeous!

12:43 am  
Blogger TheKnittingBee said...

Cheers! :)

7:24 pm  
Blogger Knitted Goth said...

I have been working on these and have done everything right (i think) but i can't figure out where the holes for the ribbon will end up. I have about 3 inches done so far but it doesn't look like any are there. Help!

6:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home