Sunday, August 19, 2007

Start-itis

This weekend I may not have posted any more FO reports - but I have finished two more items! Yesterday I finally finished my Alien Illusion scarf! It's been on the needles since 2005 - so I've finally freed up my US5 Denises (I realise that they're Denises so I could just change the tips, but this is an achievement ;) ) ready for my Forest Sun shawl.

And then today I sewed up my new mittens. With the current weather, I may need them sooner rather than later!

I've noticed that I've got start-itis at the moment. I have start-itis for pretty much anything that isn't the Swallowtail Shawl knit with my Forest Sun skein. I find that I tend to do this whenever I'm gearing up to knit a major project. I did it the other year with the Corset Pullover (which is still not started). I think I'm just trying to put off the major thing, because I'm worried it'll end up all rubbish :-/

I mean, it's summer, I've just spun some delightful fibre to make a shawl... so why was I knitting mittens out of acrylic oddments?!

Last night I cast on for the Fairly-Easy Fair Isle cardigan from Stitch'n'Bitch Nation. I spent about an hour swatching and calculating, then cast on. After 5 rows, when I realised that what I'd knit so far was long enough to wrap around my body twice, I realised I may have made a teeny mistake in the figures, and decided to go to bed. This morning I recalculated, and it's looking a lot better. At least, a lot smaller.

The cardigan can be my brainless stockinette project (now I understand why people have these!), while I start on my lace shawl. Which I will do.

When the stitch markers I ordered from the US turn up.

Definitely. I'll start it then.

Honest.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Batty said...

That's exactly how I feel. I have the urge to start new things in order to avoid working on bigger things, or finishing things I don't feel like finishing. Chalk it up to the weather or time of year. When it gets cold, rainy and autumnal, we'll all enjoy sitting in a warm room with our knitting.

2:48 am  
Blogger Kat said...

LOL, your situation sounds very familiar! I'm pushing myself really really hard to finish two projects before I start a new one.

4:20 am  
Blogger Taueret said...

Better than me, I get all paralysed and unable to start OR knit on WIPs. Then I just read knitting blogs. I think there are several theses in the psychology of knitting!

11:36 am  
Blogger TheKnittingBee said...

I'm so glad it's not just me!

Jeni at Fyberspates has been doing something to do with knitting and psychology - I wonder what her findings will be!

10:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home