Saturday, September 16, 2006

The spinning is completed

I plyed my dyed yarn today, using Impromptu Lazy Kate #2. It's approximately 139 yards long, so my insane toilet roll counting system gave me a good estimate. It's soaking right now. I hope it turns out OK. Usually when I ply I pinch and semi-draft (no, I don't really know what I'm talking about) and control the twist. Today half the time I did this, but half the time I just let go, and let the yarn ply itself - it was pulled onto the bobbin at just the right speed to ply smoothly through my fingers. Since technically I didn't really need to hold the yarn, I am suspicious that this might be 'cheating' and that it's all going to fall apart.

The most awesome thing about plying, other than watching which colours were matching up with which, was that there were only six inches of yarn left over once the first bobbin had run out. Let me remind you that not only had I divided the top into two by eye, but my spinning still isn't consistent. Yet I managed to produce two lengths of yarn that had only 6 inches between them. Mr Bee said, with a somewhat scornful tone 'I suppose you're going to mention that on your blog?'

Damn right I am. I'm even going to post a photo of the remnant with a ruler:



There are a couple of issues with my yarn though.

Let me demonstrate this with a few examples from my blog:

Friday, August 26, 2005: I buy Within Temptation gig tickets.
Sunday, August 28, 2005: those are my feet, in stripey blue socks. Note the black velvet skirt with the lace hem.
Thursday, October 06, 2005: see those boots? They're mine. Both pairs. As is the black and silver ornate umbrella.
Saturday, February 11, 2006: I give you a long, floofy black skirt with a lace hem.
Tuesday, March 07, 2006: note the stripey socks in tandem with a black floaty chiffon skirt.
Monday, March 13, 2006: I am demonstrating my new armwarmers while wearing a Zeraphine vest.
Wednesday, May 31, 2006: a Hug, shown with a Cruxshadows t-shirt, displaying a skeletal spine and wings.
Thursday, September 14, 2006: my yoga kit: you will see that while the shorts I made from some random material are blue, the rest of my kit is black.

So. What am I going to do with this?



I love it. Even though it's mainly candy pink, with swirls of candy lilac and candy blue (I cannot capture the real colours, and have given up) I love it. I actually found myself just holding it for about half an hour this evening. Even Mr Bee said "it looks like something you'd buy in a yarn shop." I love each different twirl of colours. I love the fact that I made this; I dyed it and I spun it and I plyed it. I can't wait to see how it knits up. I'm thinking maybe this (when I can knit again, of course; there's always a downside).

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Gryphon said...

A good goth girl falling for a pink yarn. Pretty rough.

9:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home